Indonesia has the largest population in Southeast Asia, by far, and an e-commerce penetration that is still very low, making it one of the hottest e-commerce markets in the world. Attracting both global and local companies’ interests, Indonesia now has a fast-growing e-commerce scene poised to become a global powerhouse.
Still inferior to 1% of all sales in Indonesia, e-commerce is expected to expand in high double digits in the coming years in Indonesia. Though the market is not as mature as e-commerce in Malaysia or Singapore, the Indonesian population of more than 260 million, makes the absolute numbers of growth in the country vertiginous, with millions of new online shoppers every year.
The fast-growing Indonesian telecommunications infrastructure, its large population with growing internet connectivity, especially through mobile phones, will make Indonesia the leader of e-commerce in Southeast Asia in the very near future.
Highlights of the Indonesia e-commerce market
Overview of the Indonesian e-commerce actors
Providing an overview of the Indonesian e-commerce landscape, the following graphic regroups the different actors in each category. It gathers the most popular e-commerce players, platforms as well as services providers in the Indonesian e-commerce market, created by ecommerceiq.
Trends of the Indonesian e-commerce market
To go deeper into the trends that weigh on the market with data on the e-commerce shoppers’ profiles and behaviors, hot products, and categories, preferred e-payment methods, the following presentation details the dynamics that currently shape the market for years to come.
A. Overview of Indonesia retail industry – slide 2
- Indonesia demographic overview – slide 3
- Top 5 countries in 2016 global retail development index – slide 4
- Share and growth rate of modern retail in Indonesia – slide 5
- Spread of modern retail in Indonesia – slide 6
- Total value of traditional retail channel transactions in Indonesia – slide 7
- Types of goods for sale in Indonesia traditional retail – slide 8
B. E-commerce in Indonesia – slide 9
- Indonesia digital landscape 2016 – slide 10
- E-commerce development in Indonesia – slide 11
- Basic diagram of e-commerce – slide 12
- Types of products bought via e-commerce – slide 13
- Use of on-demand service in Indonesia – slide 14
- Shoppers’ likes and dislikes in online shopping – slide 15
C. Indonesia e-payment landscape – slide 16
- Used electronic payment methods in Indonesia – slide 17
- Landscape of mobile payment in Indonesia – slide 18
- Usage behavior on each payment instrument – slide 21
D. E-commerce 2.0: the future is near – slide 22
- Shifting customer behavior post-digital technology era – slide 23
- E-commerce 2.0: O2O – slide 24
- Case study #1: Matahari mall – slide 25
- Case study #2: Amazon – slide 26
- Case study #3: BenyBenka – slide 27
E. Conclusion – slide 28
- Modern retail is stronger in urban areas, while traditional retail holds its presence in rural areas.
- The convenience of online shopping attracts people to use it; and alongside with it, e-payment grows.
- The e-competition is growing fiercer, with companies striving to provide a better e-shopping experience. Addressing customers needs is the key.
Presentation from May 2017 by Jeffrey Bahar
2 Replies to “Insights and trends of e-commerce in Indonesia [market analysis]”
Is it possible to get a sample report about Indonesian e-commerce industry & Indonesian food industry?
We currently do not publish reports on these subjects, but besides this post, you can also check at our post on the top Indonesian e-commerce sites.