Southeast Asia is experiencing a rapid growth of Internet, digital, social media and mobile activity. With more than 250 million Internet users in November 2015 and double-digit growth in most segments and most countries of the region, the digital sector is booming and attracting a lot of interests.
Digital, Social and Mobile in Southeast Asia
Key figures for ASEAN-6 countries
To recapitulate the numbers for the 6 largest countries in one glance, here is a summary of the numbers gathered for ASEAN-6 countries, with total population, Internet users, social media users, mobile connections and mobile social users for Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, the Philippines and Vietnam.
Details of Digital, Social and Mobile in Southeast Asia, November 2015
Global overview – slide 6
- Global digital statistics – slide 7
- Active users by social platform – slide 8
- Mobile: users vs connections – slide 9
Regional overview – slide 10
- Digital in Southeast Asia – slide 11
- Digital growth in Southeast Asia – slide 12
- Internet in Southeast Asia – slide 13
- Social media in Southeast Asia – slide 15
- Facebook in Southeast Asia – slide 17
- Mobile in Southeast Asia – slide 18
- Mobile social in Southeast Asia – slide 20
Country snapshots – slide 22
- Digital in Brunei – slide 23
- Facebook in Brunei – slide 24
- Digital in Cambodia – slide 25
- Facebook in Cambodia – slide 26
- Digital in Indonesia – slide 27
- Facebook in Indonesia – slide 28
- Digital in Laos – slide 29
- Facebook in Laos – slide 30
- Digital in Malaysia – slide 31
- Facebook in Malaysia – slide 32
- Digital in Myanmar – slide 33
- Facebook in Myanmar – slide 34
- Digital in the Philippines – slide 35
- Facebook in the Philippines – slide 36
- Digital in Singapore – slide 37
- Facebook in Singapore – slide 38
- Digital in Thailand – slide 39
- Facebook in Thailand – slide 40
- Digital in Timor Leste – slide 41
- Facebook in Timor Leste – slide 42
- Digital in Vietnam – slide 43
- Facebook in Vietnam – slide 44
This presentation from November 2015 by Simon Kemp of We Are Social Singapore was initially prepared for a conference with Tech In Asia. It notably highlights the size and growth of the Southeast Asian digital landscape.
Highlights of the Southeast Asian digital landscape 2015
Taken as a single bloc, Southeast Asia regroups a large population of digital users that take it to levels where it can stand the comparison with the leading global markets (US, EU, China…) for all of digital activities: Internet, social media, mobile and mobile social.
But it is the growth numbers that are even more impressive, with high double digit growth in all segments. This growth has primarily been enabled in 2015 through the expansion of technological infrastructures that support Internet and mobile connections.
Such growth should continue on a similar trend for some more years to come. The large and growing digital population should help sustain digital business growth and keep on attracting more and more businesses online, especially in the sector of e-commerce.